Wednesday 8 October 2014

Beetroot and Chilli Brownies

I was shown this gluten-free brownie recipe a while back, and knew straight away that I wanted to make it. Flour is replaced with ground almonds in this recipe, and I find this type of gluten-free baking often works better for me than substituting gluten-free flour into my usual recipes. Using puréed cooked beetroot also means that the recipe can get away with using less butter whilst still remaining moist. Beetroot is naturally sweet too, so the added sugar can also be reduced slightly.

Once I'd made the brownies, I was surprised by how moist they were, but it was only some time later that I realised that I might have used too much beetroot. I just picked up a supermarket pack, assuming it was the right size, but it could have been up to double the amount I actually needed. I can't remember where I bought it, as it could have been any of the 3 supermarkets I regularly use, so can't easily check.

Apart from the excessive moistness these brownies were good to eat. The amount of cayenne pepper used was just enough to leave a warm after-taste in the mouth, without being overwhelming. Because the beetroot was puréed, it wasn't noticeable as an ingredient, either in the flavour or texture, but adding it does make one feel less guilty when eating a piece! The overall texture was a bit lighter than I like in a brownie - I prefer a dense chewy texture - but I'm happy to have another successful gluten-free recipe to add to my collection.

This month the Tea Time Treats challenge is to use vegetables when cooking for the tea table. Brownies are a relatively modern treat, but I suspect that nowadays  most people would expect one to turn up in the cake selection at tea time, so I'm happy to be able to submit this entry. Karen of Lavender and Lovage alternates hosting this challenge with Jane of The Hedge Combers, and as this month's host, will post a round-up of entries at the end of the month.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

They look wonderfully moist. Love beetroot and chocolate.

Katie said...

These look lovely and more truffle like. Try putting one in the freezer and then eating it when still frozen. They go like giant chocolate truffles. mmmm.
Love the hint of pinky purple the beetroot gives them

Anne said...

My cousin made some weightwatcher beetroot brownies and they were quite nice..but yours look more moist, bigger and sound lush!

Snowy said...

These sound very moreish. I like the combination of beetroot with chocolate.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Love, love, love. I've made beetroot and chocolate cake a few times - definitely need to give brownies a try. I love the fact that I can convince myself I'm eating health food if a cake or brownie contains vegetables.

Joyti said...

Wow, what an original take on brownies. Yum!