Saturday 4 June 2016

Chocolate-topped Coconut Flapjack

When this recipe, for Bounty Flapjacks, popped up on my Facebook page, I was instantly smitten. As I have a reliable recipe of my own for flapjacks, I decided to adapt that, rather than follow She Who Bakes' recipe, but I want to acknowledge where the idea came from!

Ingredients
100g butter
60g coconut oil
100g light muscovado sugar
70g golden syrup
240g porridge oats
70g desiccated coconut

Topping - 150g plain chocolate and extra desiccated coconut (about 25g) for sprinkling

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C and line a shallow 20cm (8") square baking tin with baking parchment.

In a large bowl, in the microwave, melt the butter, coconut oil, sugar and syrup together and stir until the the mixture is smooth. It doesn't need to get to boiling point, just hot enough to dissolve the sugar. Alternatively use a saucepan on the hob.

Stir in the oats and coconut and mix well to coat everything in the butter mix. Spread evenly in the baking tin and press down firmly. Bake for 25 minutes, until just beginning to colour.

While the flapjack is cooking, finely chop the chocolate. Remove the cooked flapjack from the oven and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the chocolate fairly evenly over the oat base and pop back into the oven for 5 minutes. After this time, spread the melted chocolate right to the edges of the flapjack, with a spatula or the back of a spoon and sprinkle heavily with desiccated coconut.

I usually cut my flapjacks into squares while still warm, and did the same this time, but that meant the chocolate topping dribbled down the sides of the squares a little. I wasn't sure how well the flapjack would cut when cold, and was also worried that the chocolate would crack in the wrong place if I left it until set, but that meant I didn't get the clean looking squares that are shown with She Who Bakes recipe!

Once cut, the flapjack needs to be left until the chocolate has set before removing from the baking tin - this can take a surprisingly long time!

These were delicious! I wouldn't go so far as to call them Bounty Flapjacks as the chewy, oat-packed flapjack, with it's typical caramel-like flavour from the butter and brown sugar is more dominant than the Bounty Bar characteristics, but the combination of plain chocolate and coconut is always a winner with me, and adding it to flapjack is a brilliant idea.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh yes!!! A Bounty flapjack now that is rather fabulous... I had oats and chocolate and coconut yesterday but I made cookies and I could have made these darn it! So lovely x

Snowy said...

What a lovely idea - a Bounty flapjack. Looks delicious.