Monday 17 May 2010

Freeform Rhubarb Pie

This doesn't really have a recipe - roll out a piece of pastry, place on a baking sheet, pile in some sweetened fruit, fold in the edges, dampen the pastry, sprinkle lightly (or heavily if you prefer)with demerara sugar and bake at 180C until the pastry is golden and the fruit bubbling.


There were a few details which might be useful
* I used SR flour for the pastry, as I wanted the softer, shorter type of pastry this gives. I used 200g SR flour, 100g butter and no sugar for this basic shortcrust. This made a pie which gave 4 generous portions
* I sprinkled about 3 tablespoons of ground almonds over the area of the pastry to be covered with fruit, to absorb some of the juices.
* I added a tablespoon of orange flower water to the rhubarb and sugar.
* I guesstimate I used about 500g of fruit - a little too much , as I would have liked more pastry 'lid' and a smaller hole in the middle.
* If holes appear as you gather up the pastry, just break small pieces off the edge , dampen one side and use it damp side down over the hole, gently pressing it into place and smoothing the edges.


The revelation of this dessert was the accompanying Creme Fraiche - it was made by a Cornish company called Rodda's and was so thick that it held it's shape as it was spooned out. Despite being only(!) 30% fat, it tasted as rich as whipped double cream, and not as sharp as many brands. (I'm not advertising for the company - I happened to pick up a small pot from the 'reduced to clear' shelf in the supermarket - 16p instead of 66p!)

8 comments:

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

So much easier than a shaped round pie. I often add a sprinkling of ground almonds to my sweet pies as well - I find it keeps the base from getting too soggy!

Choclette said...

I love this pie of yours Suelle - rustic, simple and delicious. And of course, only the best from Cornwall ; )

Lucie said...

Suelle this looks wonderful! My kind of food.

Caroline said...

The pie looks really lovely, and good tips too.

I've seen that creme fraiche in my local supermarket and have wondered about trying it, I think you've just persuaded me (not difficult I know!).

Jude said...

That'll be my next rhubarb experiment then. And I'll look out for the RTC creme fraiche!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I didn't know Roddas do creme fraiche as well! Their clotted cream is yum.

I have rhubarb...

Suelle said...

Foodycat - I got the Creme Fraiche from Waitrose - on special offer at the moment, even before my RTC bargain! ;)

Snowy said...

Got some rhubarb to use up, so this will be perfect; it looks delicious.