Tuesday 4 May 2010

Rhubarb, Almond and Orange Cake

Once the depths of winter are over and the days are warmer and longer, we don't always want hot fruit desserts. This is my favourite summer dessert using rhubarb, and I can't believe that I haven't made it since starting this blog. It's a moist, dense almondy sponge, packed to bursting with small pieces of rhubarb and subtly flavoured with the addition of a little orange zest and juice. It's a dessert, rather than a tea-time cake, and is best eaten at room temperature, with a swirl of whipped cream or a scoop of creme fraiche, depending on your preference. The recipe for Rhubarb and Orange Cake, with Flaked Almonds, is from the Waitrose website.



It's not a cake which is easy to photograph, particularly when using unforced rhubarb, as the fruit cooks to a green rather than bright pink colour, which doesn't show up against the sponge. (My heavy hand with the icing sugar didn't help either!) However, I cook for flavour, not what will look good on the blog, and this is one of the best rhubarb desserts I've found anywhere.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

Three of my favourite ingredients in one cake!

Lucie said...

Delicious cake Suelle - yummmmmm!

Jude said...

I'm going to have a go at this as I have loads of fab rhubarb in the garden this year. Thanks Sue.

Choclette said...

I turn my back for 5 minutes and you've done heaps of baking. This sounds wonderful, I really like rhubarb cakes AND it looks really good too.

Jude said...

Made this tonight. Excellent texture and taste. Wish I'd properly read the Waitrose readers' comments though. The top burned in the first 25 minute slot. Was in the middle of a normal oven so not sure I'd done much wrong. Will definitely make again though. Thanks Sue.

Suelle said...

The difference between ovens never ceases to amaze me, Jude - there's no logical explanation. The cake in my photo was cooked uncovered for the full 50 minutes, and the icing sugar is not to cover any burnt bits. Glad you liked it though.