Sunday 9 May 2010

Lemon Curd and Pistachio Ripple Cake - Take 2

The second attempt at this recipe was much more successful. I altered the recipe by adding the zest of a lemon to the whole cake batter, as well as the vanilla extract, and a few drops of green colouring to the pistachio and lemon curd part of the batter. Other than that, I followed the same recipe as before. Once again, I made the lemon curd myself, to this recipe but using more lemon zest; I looked at commercial lemon curd but even the most expensive brands had added gelling agents and I wasn't sure how they would react to heat.



This time the lemon flavour was stronger and adding some food colouring showed up the ripple effect much better, as well as proving that the lemon curd portion of the batter had stayed separate. I'm a little dubious about the green colouring; it used to be said that people didn't like to eat food which had been artificially coloured blue or green, because those colours are associated with mould, but I'm not sure that's true these days.

9 comments:

Caroline said...

That looks great - you can definitely see where the swirl is this time, and its swirled really attractively too!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I'd eat it - green colouring or not!

Maria♥ said...

Wow, love the pastel green swirls. I bet these combo of flavours are delish.

Maria
x

Lucie said...

Amazing colours Suelle - a lovely loaf cake!

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Don't be dubious, I think it looks wonderful with the green swirl, Suelle! I've said it before, you really are the queen of swirly marble cakes.. :)

Choclette said...

Celia's beaten me to it, I was going to say the Swirl Queen has been at it again and it does look most appealing.

Suelle said...

I didn't realise I was becomeing so predictable, Celia and Choclette, I think I'll have to leave swirly marble cakes for a while. ;-)

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Ah go on, don't be like that...it was meant as a compliment! :)

Joanna said...

Just catching up, wow that is some cake! I love pistachios, I am all inspired now to make this Suelle! But you are talking to the person who has to make green mint choc chip muffins for her CT!

So I am automatically biased in favour of all green cakes! Forgot to say thanks for mentioning me on the other post you did too :)