Sunday 15 April 2012

Brownies with Stem Ginger

My baking plans for today have gone awry, as my mother sent an urgent demand request for help putting her kitchen back together now that the decorator has almost finished. I'll need to leave a chicken in the oven on the timer, so that we are sure of a meal this evening, which means I can't run the risk of still having a warm oven when it's time to pop in the chook.

Luckily I made some more brownies yesterday, so we are not cakeless. This time I tried my new best recipe, originally from Cookie Madness,  with sunflower oil instead of extra-virgin olive oil, and added about 4 knobs of finely chopped stem ginger, as well as a teaspoon of ground ginger and half a teaspoon of cinnamon.

The flavour and texture were just as good with sunflower oil, but I didn't add enough of the spices for them to be really detectable in the flavour. The stem ginger pieces could have been bigger too, but I was worried that they would sink. Still, the prime objective was to try the cheaper oil, so I'm pleased with the outcome.

Note - I first tasted these about 2 hours after eating a curry, and really couldn't taste the spice in them. Today I ate one after something containing no spices and the ginger flavour was quite evident - just about right, in fact! I hadn't really expected the flavour to be dependant on something eaten earlier - I've never noticed that effect before!

4 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Between you & Caroline, I am really starting to crave a spice cake!

Caroline said...

They look great - I'm such a fan of ginger in baked goods!

Phil in the Kitchen said...

Ginger in cakes can be so satisfying especially combined with chocolate but maybe not so close to a curry.

Choclette said...

Love the spices used here. I find spices always become more pronounced the next day, so maybe that had something to do with it too.