Wednesday 11 July 2012

Hazelnut and Red Berry Brownies

I think I need to write this post to prove I'm still alive! Hubs and I were away the first week of the month, and I left a batch of brownies in the cake tin for the 'lodgers' - FB and CT. Since we've been back, we have been very busy, but I did manage to cook another batch of brownies from my favorite recipe.

This time I used sunflower oil instead of olive oil - I think using olive oil is an expensive waste, as the flavour of it is lost in the chocolate flavour. Instead of adding 100g of mixed chopped chocolate, I added 50g finely chopped hazelnuts and 50g of dried red fruit, from a mix called Berries and Cherries, roughly chopping the large pieces of fruit.

Adding dried fruit to brownies is unusual for me, but the result was better than I expected, as I think the fruit complimented the hazelnuts well! As usual, the brownies were moist and chewy, and richer than usual as I used a small proportion of 85% chocolate in the melted chocolate - about 1/3.

Now I really need to get thinking about this month's baking challenges, as I've lost almost half the month already!

3 comments:

Katie said...

These look wonderful. I really must try this recipe. Love the idea of the nuts for crunch and the chewy berries too. Both so good with chocolate.

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

This sounds really interesting with the addition of dried fruit - almost like a tiffin-brownie! I totally agree that olive oil is a waste when using it in brownies. Apparently a lot of the flavour is lost during baking anyway!

Choclette said...

These sound delicious Suelle. I've really enjoyed the brownies I've made with dried fruit and it's sometimes nice to have that crunch of nuts in a fudgy brownie.