Sunday 18 November 2012

Delia Smith's Oat Slice (with Cherry Jam)


FB requested 'something jammy, like the oaty things you made a few weeks ago'. Well, I wasn't entirely happy with the recipe I used that time, as the slices seemed thin and crumbly, so I had another look around for more Oat Slice recipes. This time I decided that I ought to try a recipe from Delia Smith, the quintessential British cook, whose recipes seldom fail even the novice cook. Her recipe uses cooked fresh fruit, but it didn't seem too radical to use jam instead - this time, 250g from a jar of Morello cherry jam.

A slightly different method - melting the sugar and butter together - and different proportions of flour and oats produced a much better result. The base layer was firmer and thicker, even though I baked the slice in a slightly larger tin than stipulated (8 x 8" rather than 10 x 6"). There was less sugar in the oat mix too, which offset the sweetness of the jam nicely.

All in all, a great quick bake when time is short, as happens all too often at this time of year.


Because of this shortage of time, I'm going to have to abandon my original idea for this month's AlphaBakes, and submit these instead.   AlphaBakes (rules here) is a blogging challenge which is hosted on alternate months by Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline from Caroline Makes. This month's letter, randomly chosen by Caroline, is J, so I'm using J for Jam.

12 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Just the thing! Yum.

Chele said...

And t=did FB like these as much as the originals? They look great.

Unknown said...

loving the crumbly, nutty topping... there's something wonderfully old school about these that I just love... I can just imagine how sweet and buttery they smell... gorgeous!

Caroline said...

They look great - I agree, it's an excellent recipe and the texture is more robust than flapjack somehow - good for the jammy middle! I like the rubble-y look you've gone for on top - I tried to use just under half for the base and make a smooth top with the rest, but there isn't really enough mixture to do that I find.

Suelle said...

She said they were very good, Chele, but I don't think she was really comparing them to the first batch!:)

Suelle said...

Caroline - I prefer just over half the mix for the base, and the rest sprinkled over as evenly as possible - it always spreads a bit!

It might look rubbly, but a firm base is essential, IMO! :)

Katie said...

They look yummy and I love the idea of the cherry jam. I like how the base didn't seem to crumble, that's always my problem with these kind of bakes. Will have to give it a go.

Hello said...

The perfect snack and the oats make it healthier! x

Chloe and Sarah | Honey & Lulu said...

This slice looks simply divine! I bet it tasted delicious too! Thanks for sharing :)

What a lovely blog - you have a new follower here!

Have a great day,

Chloe & Sarah

Snowy said...

They look so good, Suelle; love the topping.

Choclette said...

They look really good Suelle, especially the top. I really must try and make some as I've loads of jam to use up - I think I said that before ;-S

Caroline Cowe said...

These look great - and as you say, it's handy to have some recipes you know will work when you're short of time! Thanks for entering Alphabakes!