Wednesday 4 October 2017

Nigella Lawson's Emergency Brownies

Many people I know are at a stage of their lives where they don't need to cook for large numbers; for whatever reason most of their cooking is done for only one or two people. This is something that makes baking particularly difficult, at least for me - a standard sized cake can take 4 or 5 days for 2 people to eat. I could freeze slices of cake, but my freezer organisation is notoriously bad so I'm sure I'd end up with a drawer full of slices that had dried out and grown ice crystals, so would have to be thrown away in the end.

It seems that Nigella Lawson may have found herself in the position of craving cake and/or chocolate, but being unwilling to bake something large, as her new book, At My Table, contains a recipe for these Emergency Brownies - a recipe based on one egg and making only 4 generously sized brownies (or even fewer if your craving is really strong!).

I can't link to the recipe as it's not online anywhere yet, but I'm sure it will be soon appear once the TV series accompanying the book is shown, and the book is being more vigourously promoted. Suffice to say that butter, sugar and syrup (I used Maple) are melted together gently to dissolve the sugar. Then a mixture of plain flour and cocoa is beaten in, an egg and vanilla extract added, and finally chopped walnuts and chocolate chips added (I used chopped plain chocolate with orange pieces). The batter is baked in a foil tray which is approximately 18 x 11cm (I couldn't find that exact size, but it's roughly the same as a 1lb loaf tin, or this size of container from Lakeland).

20 minutes baking left these brownies still slightly gooey in the centre even when completely cold. They were very rich - I ate two pieces and felt I had reached my limit - and quite heavy; not the best brownies I've ever eaten but a really good small-scale recipe. I'll certainly be using it again. The orange flavour from the chocolate I used was a nice note alongside the walnuts, but I can see this recipe working well with all the flavour variations I use in brownies - different nuts, spices etc

4 comments:

Snowy said...

I've just bought the book, and the amount is perfect for me. Definitely one to make. They look delicious, Suelle.

Unknown said...

Out of curiosity, what are the best brownies you've eaten? And do you have the recipe? Or a link?

Unknown said...

Out of curiosity, what are the best brownies you've eaten? And do u have a recipe? Or link.

Suelle said...

Hi Andy - if you look at all my brownie recipes, you'll find that most are based on this recipe - https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/chocolate-orange-brownies.html

Over the years, I've cut down on the sugar a bit - the original recipe contained 600g. You can also scale down the recipe to only use 2/3 of everything (but 3 eggs) and bake in a 20cm tin.

I think the fact that I always come back to this recipe means it is the best, IMO.