Tuesday 16 February 2010

Butterscotch Blondies - take 2

This was a much better result than my first attempt a few weeks ago, but it still isn't quite what I'm looking for. I based the recipe on this recipe for White Chocolate Blondies, using more butter and some soft toffees instead of the melted white chocolate. The recipe was very tasty, but too light and cakey to match my expectations of a blondie. I'd like something more like a dense brownie in texture. Fortunately, since baking these, I've found several good looking blondie recipes on Stephanie's Ice Cream Before Dinner, so I think I'll try out some of those next.

In the meantime, if you want a tasty butterscotch flavoured cake, here is the recipe:

Ingredients
115g unsalted butter
115g soft toffees or vanilla fudge (I used Werther's Original Chewy Toffees)
100g light muscovado sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs
130g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
80g white chocolate, chopped roughly
80g macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped roughly

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 160C, line an 8" square baking tin with baking parchment. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together.

In a large saucepan, gently heat the butter, toffees, brown sugar and water until the toffees have completely melted. Stir well, to give a smooth amalgamated mixture. Allow the mixture to cool until it is barely more than hand-hot (otherwise you will scramble the eggs).

Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the flour mix, followed by the nuts and white chocolate.

Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake for about 30 minutes, or until done when tested.

Cool in the tin, and cut into 12-16 pieces when completely cold.

8 comments:

Choclette said...

Well yes, I see what you mean. They do look rather like nice pieces of cake squares - hummm. Glad you haven't given up on the quest though. I wonder if it's because you're not melting the chocolate into the mixture as you would with normal brownies. Mine had a brownie texture and I melted the white chocolate rather than chipping it in - just a thought????

Suelle said...

Hi Choclette. I was hoping the melted toffees would have the same effect on the texture as melted chocolate does, but it didn't work out that way. Without that effect, I think there was then too much baking powder.

Suzie said...

Not sure if this is helpful (and whether it is what you are after), but I have had success with Dorie Greenspan blondies. I think you should find a few recipes if you google it. God luck - what a fun quest to be on!

Suelle said...

Thanks Suzie, I'll look for the recipe.

I've been wondering whether to buy her book, as I like the recipes I've seen on the Tuesdays with Dorie blog posts, but I really don't like cooking with cups, so I'm still undecided.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That profile does look a bit fluffy to be a blondie! Maybe getting some dulce de leche or condensed milk in would squidge them up a bit?

Maria♥ said...

Hi Suelle

I just came across your blog, it's so nice to read another UK based blog. Feel free to visit my blog too.

Maria
x

Suelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suelle said...

Thanks Maria - I like to find new UK based food blogs too. I've added yours to my reading list, after looking at all the great cakes you've baked. I'll find some time to explore more soon.