Monday 6 December 2010

Chilli-Orange Chocolate Cake, again.

After my last baking session turned out a less than successful result, I had to quickly whip up something for the family to eat instead. No time for experimentation, but a return to a cake which I know is always successful - Sam Stern's Chilli-Orange Chocolate Cake - and one for which I already had all the ingredients. The only slight change from the recipe is that I use all the zest from the orange, and a second tablespoon of orange juice instead of rum. I don't add the marmalade glaze and use my own frosting recipe too.

As I've said before, this cake is near perfection - a moist close texture, but not too dense, and just the right balance of flavours. The chilli is evident, but not overwhelming. I wouldn't want to change a thing about it.

After eating it, daughter wondered if a Tequila, Lime and Chilli version would work, as she's a big fan of Montezuma's Revenge Truffles, flavoured with those three ingredients.

9 comments:

Chele said...

Great looking cake and some very interesting flavour combos too. I know some family memebers who would just fall on this cake if it was offered to them!

Celia said...

Suelle, isn't it wonderful when you have something on standby that is so consistent and reliable? And I think you're right, that cake does indeed look like perfection!

Suelle said...

Thanks, Chele and Celia.

You're so right, Celia, however much we like to experiment and try something new, we still need a few old reliable recipes for times when we're in a hurry or can't afford a mistake.

Snowy said...

It looks great Suelle. I need a chocolate cake recipe for next week, so one to try. Thank you.

Choclette said...

Suelle, this is the sort of chocolate cake that you look at and immediately want a slice - I certainly want one right now, but will have to make do with a sip of water instead :(

I don't know whether it's the light or you've used a different type of chocolate, but this one looks much darker. And are you going to give the recipe for your icing?

Suelle said...

Choclette! A sip of water - are you ill? I hope not.

I think the difference between this cake and the previous one is just a matter of photography - the first cake looks as if the light was artificial whereas the photograph here was taken in natural, but fairly dull, lighting comditions.

The frosting is much the same as before - 100g 72% chocolate, 50g butter, 2 teaspoons golden syrup all melted together, then cooled until of a spreading consistency.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That is a very nice looking cake!

Choclette said...

Thanks Suelle - Glad to say I'm not ill (touch wood), I was at my desk at work when I saw this and all I had available in the food and drink department was a bottle of water, which wasn't in the least satisfying, especially after seeing your cake!. I have yet to try golden syrup in a frosting.

Suelle said...

Phew - so pleased you are not ill!

I think the golden syrup is as much to keep the frosting fudgy and prevent it hardening too much, as it is to add sweetness.