Tuesday 18 January 2011

Buttermilk Maple Spice Cake

So, I found a recipe to use up most of the buttermilk I bought, just to use 2 tablespoons in the previous batch of brownies. This Buttermilk Maple Spice Cake also used oil, so fitted into my current baking criteria.

There's not a lot to say about this cake. The recipe was simple - mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, the dry ingredients in another and combine the two. I used spelt flour instead of wholemeal, and black treacle instead of molasses. The only other thing to mention is that it cooked a little faster than suggested in the recipe, but I did have the fan on, as I was baking something else at the same time.

The combination of spices used gave a very good flavour and the texture was pleasingly light and fluffy too. My only criticisms are that it was not quite sweet enough, and that the spices hid the flavour of the maple syrup. It might be better made with a sweeter syrup such as honey or golden syrup. Like a traditional gingerbread, it seems to be getting stickier with age.

Overall it was a pleasant, but not memorable cake - I will probably only come back to it if I can't find anything better in the 'spicy' category of low saturated fat cakes.

4 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Maybe keep the buttermilk & maple syrup element and add a different flavouring? Not sure what though.

cocoa and coconut said...

I like simple cakes that are sweet and use a little bit of spice (especially cinnamon). The only bad thing about cakes that get better with age...is that you have to wait!

Aegis Global Software said...

Cake with spice is really delicious. I loved this type of Specialty Cookies. Thanks for sharing its cooking tips

Caroline said...

It looks lovely, and I'll have to remember this one when I'm next staring at an almost full carton of buttermilk.