Thursday 2 June 2011

Vanilla and Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

I wasn't intending to post about this, as I made it in a hurry and didn't think the idea had worked very well. However, when I cut into the cake, it looked so pretty that I thought it was worth writing about it.

This cake was an adaptation of the Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake I made a while ago, but I made a plain vanilla flavoured cake by leaving out the cocoa and increasing the flour. Then I stirred a cocoa paste made from 30g cocoa and some boiling water into one portion of the batter (a bit less than half, by weight).

At this point I realised the two batters were too thin to marble properly, so I poured the vanilla batter into the cake tin, added the chocolate batter on top, and attempted to swirl the two together with a fork. I had no idea how much (or little) the two batters had mixed until the cake was cut, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result!

This didn't turn out to be a spectacularly good cake - it's more the sort of thing you have on hand for people who expect a daily portion of cake, rather than something you bake for guests - but it is a moist, tasty sponge cake, with an acceptable chocolate flavour. I don't think anyone would guess it had no butter in it!

12 comments:

cornercottage said...

That looks so pretty! (and really tasty!)

Caroline said...

It does indeed look very attractive! I often want to blog things that I've made but am hampered by my totally useless photography. I post them anyway though ;-)

Glad you're still able to post, even if it's a complete pain to do.

katecakesandbakes said...

Absolutely- it does look a real attractive cake! Its funny how sometimes the things you don't expect to turn out well, or look that 'pretty' actually turn out great and look great! And of course, I find, vice versa!

Ruth said...

It does look very pretty! I definitely wouldn't turn down a slice of that!

Suelle said...

C - making new posts to my blog is fine - it's just adding or replying to comments, either here or on other blogs, which is proving difficult. It's OK if the comment form pops up in a new window, but I can't use embedded comment forms! Go figure!

Baking Addict said...

It definitely looks very pretty and I'm sure it tasted good too. I've seen a few mayonnaise cake recipes - must give it a try soon.

Caroline said...

Suelle - that's exactly the problem I'm having!

Suelle said...

C - Snowy over at Cookbooks Galore is having problems too, but I can't post to her blog to tell her she's not the only one - she doesn't have an email contact either!

Choclette said...

I've always said you are the marbling queen and I'm sticking to my guns on that - it looks brilliant Suelle.

Bake...Mistake? said...

Looks delicious! Im trying to learn how to bake at the moment and this has defintely given me some inspiration! I'd love some advice on how I can improve if you get time http://bakemistake.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Suelle said...

Bake...Mistake? I'd love to comment on your blog - a simple sponge shouldn't be that difficult. Unfortunately I'm having trouble with blogger and can only post comments on blogs which have comment pages which pop up in a separate window, which isn't how you've got yours set up!

Bake...Mistake? said...

Suelle thanks for replying, I've changed my blog settings so anyone can comment and its the pop up box thingy! So please comment if u get chance. Anyone got advice for making a lemon drizzle cake? I've said Il make one for friends tomorrow! Agh! Xxx