Thursday 3 December 2009

Chilli-chocolate Orange Cake

If you're a regular reader of my posts you will know by now that I am quite critical of what I bake and it's very rare for me to be completely satisfied with a recipe (or of the way it turns out for me!). No such problems here - this Chilli-chocolate Orange Cake is perfect. A moist, close texture, but not too dense; a good balance of all the added flavours, and equally tasty with or without a frosting (and there's a choice of two with this recipe). Of course, you do have to like the chilli-chocolate combination in cakes! The amount in this cake is just right for me, giving enough warmth to be noticable, but no lingering burn.

The recipe is by Sam Stern, who published his first cookery book in his mid-teens. It's the last recipe on this page of chocolate cake recipes on The Guardian website. I used 2 tablespoons of orange juice instead of rum and/or water, and the grated rind of the whole orange, otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly.

For a frosting I used a Mary Berry recipe very similar to the bitter chocolate icing suggested in the recipe, but with smaller quantities - 90g plain chocolate, 45g butter and 2 teaspoons golden syrup melted together, then cooled until thick enough to stay on the cake. This amount is just enough for a thin layer on the top of the cake. I sprinkled orange zest over the frosting for an extra finishing touch.

5 comments:

Nora said...

That looks delicious. I don't think I've ever had a chilli-chocolate cake, but it sounds like a great idea. And a perfect recpe? Well, that needs trying I think!

Hilary said...

Mmmm that sounds amazing. Does the chili give just a hint of heat or is it quite pronounced?

Hilary said...

Never mind... I just saw your explanation of the 'chili hit'! Not sure how I missed that the first time!

Suelle said...

Nora - it took about 6 hours for your comment to show up here after I moderated it. I've never had that happen before!

Hi, Hilary - my chilli flakes contain the seeds. You certainly know you've eaten one of those if you bite down on it, but the overall effect of the chilli in the cake is quite mellow.

Choclette said...

Oh, that sounds so good - I bet the chilli goes really well with orange. I'm starting to have chocolate cake withdrawal symptoms it seems such a long time since I made one!