Sunday 19 February 2012

Olive Oil Brownies

Although I'm really happy with the brownies that I make with mayonnaise, as a way of reducing the amount of butter used, they do come out with a cakey texture, so I've been on the look-out for recipes which give a chewier, fudgier result.

These Olive Oil Brownies from Cookie Madness come closer to the sort of thing I like - they are chewy but still not quite as dense and fudgy as I like. Definitely a step in the right direction, though, and they do have that lovely papery surface that good brownies have.

This recipe is quicker and less fiddly to make than the mayonnaise brownies, so will be the one I use, in future, when in a hurry. I used a really good grassy Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and I do think it contributed something to the flavour. My only gripe, as with many brownie recipes, is that the brownies were too shallow - 50% more batter in the same sized tin would have been better.

I only had finely chopped toasted hazelnuts to add to the brownie mixture - it would have been better to use more coarsely chopped nuts.

5 comments:

Chele said...

Must remember this for when the baking bug next bites - Mum has sent me a swish bottle of olive oil from home that would be wonderful to use in these brownies I reckon.

Unknown said...

oooh, I have the most wonderful olive oil that needs using just for this... so glad you made these, they look very good... I love the combo of olive oil and chocolate it is so heady and hearty... bloody gorgeous!

MissCakeBaker said...

Great idea - the amount of butter in brownies is obscene! They look lovely.

Phil in the Kitchen said...

Nice idea to use oil. You're right that a lot of recipes seem to produce shallow brownies - that's odd. Maybe liking thicker brownies is rarer than I thought.

LeapFrog said...

Hey have you tried Jamie Oliver's recipe? It's the best one I've tried so far & results in gooey, amazing tasting brownies! If you put them in thr fridge once they've cooled from the oven they thicken up and the gooey-ness is still there but more fudgy. You have to use 70% cocoa chocolate though! Let me know if you like it!